Sunanda Pushkar death case: A timeline of events
- Sunanda Pushkar death case: A timeline of events
Sunanda Pushkar death case: Four years after Sunanda Pushkar, wife of Shashi Tharoor, was found dead in her suite at Delhi's Leela Hotel, Delhi Police on Monday filed a charge sheet and named the Congress MP as an accused in the case.Sunanda Pushkar was found dead under mysterious circumstances in suite no 345 of Hotel Leela Palace in New D elhi. (File) Related News
- Sunanda Pushkar death case: Shashi Tharoor flays Delhi Police, calls chargesheet âpreposterousâ
- Shashi Tharoor charged with abetment to suicide in Sunanda Pushkar case
- Sunanda Pushkar death case LIVE: Shashi Tharoor charged with âabetment to suicideâ, Cong calls it âconspiracyâ
Four years after Sunanda Pushkar, wife of Shashi Tharoor, was found dead in her suite at Delhiâs Leela Hotel, Delhi Police on Monday filed a chargesheet and named the Congress MP as an accused in the case. The chargesheet, filed before Metropolitan Magistrate Dharmender Singh at the Patiala House court, however, mentioned it to be a case of suicide and no one has been charged with murder. The chargesheet menti ons marital discord as the cause of suicide and Tharoor has been booked under Section 306 (abetment to suicide) and Section 498 A (cruelty in a marriage).
READ | Shashi Tharoor flays Delhi Police, calls chargesheet âpreposterousâ
One of the most mysterious and, at the same time, controversial cases in recent times, there was no end to conspiracy theories ever since the incident at suite number 345 of Leela Hotel. Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh had alleged that Pushkarâs death was a result of Tharoorâs wrongdoings in the IPL, while others blamed it on the Congress leaderâs affair with Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar.
Here is a detailed timeline of the case:
January 16, 2014: Sunanda Pushkar and Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar had a spat on Twitter over the latterâs alleged affair with Shashi Tharoor.
January 17, 2014: Sunanda Pushkar was found dead under mysterious circumstances in suite no 345 of Hotel Leela Palace in New Delhi. While police suspected suicide, the possibility of drug overdose was not ruled out since Pushkar was undergoing medical treatment.
January 19, 2014: The doctors who conducted postmortem on Sunanda Pushkar Tharoor at AIIMS said it appeared to be a case of âsudden, unnatural deathâ, and mentioned more than a dozen injury marks on Sunandaâs hands and an abrasion on her cheek, suggesting a âuse of blunt forceâ, besides a âdeep teeth biteâ on the edge of her left palm. Although ânominal tracesâ of the anti-anxiety drug Alprazolam were found, there were âno findings suggestive of drug overdoseâ.
January 20, 2014: Pushkarâs doctors in Kerala, who had treated her days before her death, said that she had not been diagnosed with any life-threatening disease that could have caused her death.
January 21, 2014: The subdivisional magistrate (SDM), who was headi ng inquest proceedings as the marriage was less than seven years old, said that Sunanda died of poisoning. The SDM, in his report, had said Sunanda could have died in âjust three ways, homicidal, suicidal and accidentalâ and police should investigate further to ascertain the reason of her death.
January 23, 2014: Investigators said prima facie Pushkar died of âhidden poisoningâ. Traces of two medicines, Alprazolam and Excedrin, had been found in her body. While Alprazolam is an anti-depressant, Excedrin is a painkiller â" a combination of acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. Viscera samples were preserved after the autopsy at AIIMS and sent to CFSL for further tests.Shashi Tharoor at cremation of Sunanda Pushkarâs body. (Express photo)
On the same day, the p robe into Pushkarâs death is transferred to the Delhi Police Crime Branch. However, two days later, the case was transferred back to Delhi polce.
July 2, 2014: An AIIMS doctor, Sudhir Gupta, who headed the panel that conducted Pushkarâs post-mortem claimed he was being pressurised to manipulate the autopsy report. Gupta filed an affidavit to the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) alleging he was pressured to âcover up the matterâ and give a âtailor-made reportâ.
Gupta, in his report, said Pushkar had 15 injury marks on her body, most of which did not contribute to death. But there were two injury marks â" an injection mark and some bite marks. The report also said that there was presence of excess amount of alprazolam drug in her stomach.
September 30, 2014: AIIMS doctors submit viscera report to Delhi Police.
October 10, 2014: A fresh forensic report on the case was submitted by AIIMS to Delhi Police on September 30, which the police called âinconclusiveâ.
November 9, 2014: Senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy indicated that he may file a PIL demanding a court-monitored probe into the mysterious death of Sunanda Pushkar.
January 6, 2015: Then Delhi Police commissioner BS Bassi said Pushkar did not commit suicide but was murdered. Delhi Police registered a murder case against unknown people in the case.
February 2015: Pushkarâs viscera samples are sent to the FBI lab in Washington for examination and identification of poison that killed her.
November 10, 2015: Delhi Police receive Pushkarâs viscera report from the FBI. Report says radiation in Pushkarâs viscera samples was within permissible levels and did not cause her death.
November, 2015: Delhi police ask journalist Nalini Singh, who was one of the last persons to speak to Pushkar, to h elp with investigation. Pushkar had reportedly asked Singh to help her retrieve BBM messages between her husband and the Tarar.
February, 2016: A Special Investifation Team of Delhi Police questioned Shashi Tharoor. The Congress leader reiterated that Pushkar died due to drug overdose.
March 2016: Mehr Tarar comes to Delhi, meets a senior officer and denies any knowledge about Pushkarâs murder.BJP leader Subramanian Swamy moved the Delhi high court seeking a court-monitored probe by a CBI-led Special Investigation Team. ( File)
July 6, 2017: BJP leader Subramanian Swamy moved the Delhi high court seeking a court-monitored probe by a CBI-led Special Investigation Team into the death of Pushkar. Swamy alleged that âinordinate delayâ has been caused in the investigation âwhich is a blot on the justice systemâ.
October 26, 2017: Delhi High Court dismissed Subramanian Swamyâs plea seeking a court-monitored SIT probe, terming his PIL as a âtextbook example of a political interest litigationâ.
January 29, 2018: Subramanian Swamy moved Supreme Court seeking a SIT probe and alleged that it took nearly one year for the Delhi Police to lodge FIR in the case and the post-mortem report said that Pushkar had died an unnatural death. However, the SC asked him to satisfy on the aspect of maintainability of his plea. In February, the apex court sought the response of the Delhi Police on the plea.
April 20, 2018: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) told the Supreme Court that a draft final report had been prepared after conducting âthorough professional and scientific investigationsâ in the case and it would be filed in the concerned trial court after being vetted.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppÂ© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd More Related News
- India not safe in BJPâs hands as nation cannot be âbuilt on dividesâ: Shashi Tharoor
- âTaken in by fake newsâ: Shashi Tharoor clarifies after tweeting about Raghuram Rajanâs âappointment as Governor of the Bank of Englandâ
- West Bengal gram panchayat elections LIVE UPDATES: 12 killed in violent clashes; MHA seeks report from TMC govt5 mi ns ago
- Sunanda Pushkar death case LIVE: Shashi Tharoor charged with 'abetment to suicide', Cong calls it 'conspiracy'15 mins ago
- MP Board 10th, 12th result 2018 LIVE: Govt schools perform better over private institutes50 mins ago
- ICSE ISC results 2018 LIVE: 7 class 12 students tops examination55 mins ago
- India weather LIVE Updates: Death toll in Sunday's storm climbs to 75; 51 in UP alone4 hours ago
- 1MP Board 10th, 12th result 2018 LIVE: Govt schools perform better over private institutes
- 2IPL 2018 Live KXIP vs RCB: KXIP vs RCB Predicted Playing 11
- 3Sunanda Pushkar death case LIVE: Shashi Tharoor charged with 'abetment to suicide', Cong calls it 'conspiracy'
- 4ICSE ISC results 2018 LIVE: 7 class 12 students tops examination
- Sunanda Pushkar death case: Shashi Tharoor charged with 'abetment to suicide', Cong calls it 'conspiracy'
- West Bengal elections LIVE: 12 killed in violent clashes; MHA seeks report from TMC govt
- Manmohan Singh writes to President on âthreatening languageâ used by PM Modi
- OpinionThat 14 of the 15 most polluted cities in the world are in India points to a public health emergency
- OpinionDoctors, barring exceptions, are complicit in the commercialisation of healthcare
- EntertainmentAvengers Infinity War becomes the fifth highest-grossing movie of all time
- EntertainmentBhavesh Joshi Superhero song Chavanprash: Is Arjun Kapoor's 'item song' really needed in a vigilante drama?
- EntertainmentShamshera: Vaani Kapoor to romance Ranbir Kapoor
- TrendingThis mash-up of 'Deadpool' dancing to Ranveer Singh's popular number 'Khalibali' is HILARIOUS
- TrendingVIDEO: You will not look at a calendar the same way after watching this