Mangaluru, Udupi hit by 'unforeseen' rainfall; several areas flooded, NDRF on alert
- Mangaluru, Udupi hit by âunforeseenâ rainfall; several areas flooded, NDRF on alert
Schools are closed today and fishermen have been advised not to venture out to sea. As heavy rain pounded the twin coastal districts, water entered factories and buildings, caused street clogging and blocked the vehicular traffic.Mangaluru: Rescuers shift people to a safer place from a flooded locality, after a thunderstorm, in Mangaluru (PTI)
As the Cyclone Mekunu hit coastal parts of Karnataka, heavy downpour lashed Mangaluru and its surrounding areas. Continuous rain since Sunday has inundated low-lying areas and has thrown life out of gear in the twin districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi. Schools are closed today and fishermen have been advised not to venture out to sea.
The Home Ministry has reviewed the situation and has rushed additional teams of NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) to assist the local administration is rescue efforts. Residents in Mangaluru said that it was an âunforeseen rainfallâ and that such a situation was not witnessed in the area in the past few decades.
As heavy rain pounded the twin co astal districts, water entered factories and buildings, caused street clogging and blocked the vehicular traffic. Strong winds also uprooted trees and electrical poles. About 130 buildings, including houses, were partially or fully damaged in the rains in the last two days in Udupi district, district administration sources said. The total loss was estimated at Rs 51.37 lakh.Mangaluru: Rescuers at work in a flooded locality after a thunderstorm, in Mangaluru on Tuesday. (PTI)
Rainwater also flooded the Padil underbridge, where many vehicles are still stuck. A house under construction collapsed at Pumpwell and Kuthar junction was surrounded by water. Mangaluru and Bantwal taluks were the most affected, while rainfall was scarce in Puttur, Sullia, and Belthangady taluks in the district, the sources said.
Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy took stock of the situation on Tuesday and directed the Deputy Commissioner to take assistance from the Coast Guard to rescue people if such situation arises. The Chief Minister also instructed him to take necessary precautionary steps to mitigate severe damages and prevent loss of lives, said a press release from CMO.Mangaluru: A flooded bus stop after heavy downpour in Mangaluru. (PTI Photo)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also ensured assistance to people in Karnataka. âI pray for the safety and well-being of all those affected by heavy rains in various parts of Karnataka. Have spoken to officials and asked them to ensure all possible assistance in the affected areas,â he wrote on Twitter.
Former chief minister and BJP leader Yeddyurappa also asked pe ople to stay indoors. âMy thoughts are with all those affected by the incessant rain in #Mangaluru region. I pray for your safety and well being. Centre has assured all possible support in mitigating the situation due to heavy rains. I request the fishermen to not venture out in the sea,â he wrote on Twitter.
(With inputs from PTI)
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppÂ© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd Advertisement Advertisement Live Blog
- TN HSC Plus One Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Result to be out shortly, pass percentage to be out shortly13 mins ago
- CBSE 10th Resu lt 2018 Live Updates: Result declared at cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in, results.nic.in; websites to check results14 hours ago
- CBSE, WBBSE, MSBSHSE, RBSE and BSEB Board 10th, 12th Result 2018 Live Updates: CBSE 10th results declared, pass percentage declines by 4.25 per cent18 hours ago
- Kerala Plus One +1 result 2018 LIVE: Result announced, revaluation and passing criteria22 hours ago
- Gujarat GSEB SSC 10th Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Result declared at gseb.org, 5.33 lakh pass2 days ago
- Petrol, diesel price see marginal cut: In Delhi, petrol at Rs 77.83/litre; Mumbai Rs 85.65/lit re
- India-Pak thaw: Both agree to follow ceasefire on LoC in letter and spirit
- Where prohibition has a silver lining: Safer homes & more money
- OpinionUnprincipled alliance that Opposition seeks to build across the country gifts BJP an opportunity in 2019
- OpinionWhy a photo of a Pakistani girl on a booklet in Bihar need not embarrass officials
- EntertainmentSumeet Vyas: I don't think I'll get overshadowed in Veere Di Wedding
- EntertainmentMadhuri Dixit and Jacqueline Fernandez match steps on 'Ek Do Teen' on Dance Deewane
- EntertainmentSanju poster: Anushka Sharma's new avatar has left us intrigued
- TrendingVIDEO: Japanese 'pleasure' industry looks to cash in on 2020 Olympics
- TrendingVIDEO: Two monkeys have a human-like punch fight; photographer's perfectly-timed clicks go viral