Malviya Nagar fire rages for over 16 hours: Ten things you should know
- Malviya Nagar fire rages for over 16 hours: Ten things you should know
Malviya Nagar fire: Rescue efforts are on and the firefighters are trying to douse the flames. The workers were safely evacuated and no casualty has been reported yet.A truck parked outside caught fire, which spread to the godown. (Express Photo by Praveen Khanna)
Thick plumes of smoke could be seen rising high in the sky after a massive fire broke out in a warehouse in South Delhiâs Malviya Nagar. The fire that started on Tuesday evening has still not been doused and the fire team is still working to control it. Workers at the warehouse were safely evacuated and no casualty has been reported.
Here are ten things that you should know about the fire that has been on since past 16 hours
1. The fire broke out in a rubber godown in Malviya Nagar. Officials say that the fire started from a truck parked near Sant Nirankari School in Malviya Nagar. The truck was loaded with rubber compounds that were inflammable.
2. The fire call was received at around 5 pm. The fire from the burning truck then spread to the godown. The warehouse l ocated in Khirki Extension at Malviya Nagar was used to store rubber raw material for rethreading of vehicle tyres.The smoke due to the fire is also visible from nearby areas like Saket, Greater Kailash. (Express photo)
3. Sixty-five fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Five tenders with DCP foam are also being used to control the fire. A case has been registered under sections 258, 335 of the Indian Penal Code at Malviya Nagar police station
4. Workers in the godown were evacuated and residents were asked to shift to a safer place. Local police reached the spot and cordoned off the area to avoid chaos. Thirteen buildings, one school and a gym located near the godown have also been evacuated for safety reasons.
5. The fire that started at 5 pm in the evening is still not under control . The fire department claims that the fire will be extinguished once the rubber compound completely burns off. The department also suggests that it might take more two to three hours to douse the fire.Bambi buckets have been roped in to control the fire (Express photo)
6. Medical teams have also been pressed into services to attend to any victims of the fire. Medical teams at Max Hospital in Saket, Rainbow Child Speciality Hospital, Safdarjung Hospital and AIIMS have been alerted about any incoming patients. Adequate police arrangements have also been placed at the above hospitals.
7. Delhi Disaster Management Authority, Delhi Fire Services, local police are assisting in evacuation, rescue efforts and crowd management.
Read | Malviya Nagar fire: Firefighters continue to douse fire, Air Force to use Bambi buckets
8. In addition, Indian Air Forceâs MI-17 helicopter has been deployed to douse the fire. The chopper will use specialised buckets called Bambi buckets that can carry approximately 2,500 litres of water at a time to pour water on the flames.
9. The Delhi Jal Board has, meanwhile, issued an alert suggesting water scarcity in south Delhi. Adding that tomorrowâs water supply in the area will be affected as a huge volume of water is being used to douse the flames, the board cautioned residents to use it judiciously.
10. The smoke due to the fire is also visible from nearby areas like Saket, Greater Kailash.
For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express AppÂ© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd Advertisement Advertisement Live Blog
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2018 LIVE Updates: 12th result declared, girls outperform boys with 92.36%1 min ago
- Narendra Modi in Indonesia LIVE: India stands resolutely with Indonesia in fight against terror, says PM7 mins ago
- Maharashtra HSC Result 2018, RBSE, WBBSE and BSEB 10th, 12th Result 2018 Live Updates: MSBSHSE 12th declared, to be uploaded at 1 pm at mahresult.nic.in7 mins ago
- Monsoon LIVE: Heavy rain lashes Mangaluru, southwest monsoon advances35 mins ago
- TN HSC Plus One Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Girls outperform boys, top 3 districts1 hour ago
- Petrol price cut, but by all of 1 paisa; IOCL revises prices from earlier cut of 60 paise
- India-Pak thaw: Both agree to follow ceasefire on LoC in letter and spirit
- Aircel-Maxis case: ED can take no coercive action against Chidambaram till June 5, orders Delhi court
- OpinionUnprincipled alliance that Opposition seeks to build across the country gifts BJP an opportunity in 2019
- OpinionWhy a photo of a Pakistani girl on a booklet in Bihar need not embarrass officials
- EntertainmentBefore Sanju, these five realistic biopics entertained Bollywood fans
- EntertainmentBefore Veere Di Wedding, here's looking at the box office collection of Sonam Kapoor's last five films
- EntertainmentJennifer Winget is the ultimate television diva and these pictures are proof
- TrendingRace 3 actors Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez face Netizens' ire for 'forcing' child to hug even after he said no
- TrendingVIDEO: Japanese 'pleasure' industry looks to cash in on 2020 Olympics