Maharashtra Lok Sabha bypoll results: BJP trounces ally Shiv Sena, Congress candidate is fifth
- Maharashtra Lok Sabha bypoll results: BJP trounces ally Shiv Sena, Congress candidate is fifth
Maharashtra Lok Sabha bypoll results 2018: The election saw the Congress being relegated to the fifth position â" its worst performance in six decades â" with its candidate polling only 47,713 votes (5.37 per cent).Bhandara: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) workers celebrate their partyâs success in BhandaraÂGondiya Loksabha by-elections, outside their party office, in Bhandara district of Maharashtra on Thursday, May 31, 2018. Top News
- World XI vs West Indies T20: West Indies win by 72 runs
- Assembly bypoll results: BJP suffers major blow before 2019 elections, wins just one out of 10 seats
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Highlights: Mi 8 SE, Explorer Edition, Mi Band 3, Mi TV 4 and more
THE RULING BJP on Thursday emerged victorious in the Palghar Lok Sabha bypoll in Maharashtra, defeating its ally in the state, the Shiv Sena, by a margin of 28,474 votes. The election saw the Congress being relegated to the fifth position â" its worst performance in six decades â" with its candidate polling only 47,713 votes (5.37 per cent).
The bitt erly contested bypoll saw BJPâs Rajendra Gavit â" a former Congress minister â" polling 2,72,780 (30.75 per cent) votes and Senaâs Shrinivas Wanaga bagging 2,43,206 (27.42 per cent) votes. While the candidate of Bahujan Vikas Aghadi, the runner-up in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, won the third spot with 2,22,837 votes (25.12 per cent), the CPI(M) candidate got 71,887 votes (8.1 per cent).
Speaking to mediapersons after the results were declared, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, âI express gratitude to the people of Palghar for reposing their faith in the development work of the government.â
Sena president Uddhav Thackeray, however, refused to acknowledge the BJP win. âThe people have voted against the BJP. How can it be their victory?â
Congress state chief Ashok Chavan and NCPâs Nawab Mallik were unanimous in their argument that EVMs and misuse of power had helped the BJP get an edge.
The electoral outcome has thrown open new political dynamics in the state. The traditional tribal-dominated seat has, for the first time, brought Sena in political reckoning. Secondly, the Congress suffered a huge loss of face under the leadership of party national president Rahul Gandhi.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of sitting BJP MP Chintaman Wanaga in January. It became a talking point after Sena fielded Wanagaâs son Shrinivas.
While the BJP went on accuse Sena of betraya l, Uddhav maintained that this was done to provide justice to the Wanaga family. The election saw high-voltage campaign with Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis campaigning extensively. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Union minister Smriti Irani also campaigned for the BJP nominee.
BJP loses Bhandara-Gondiya
The BJP on Thursday lost the Lok Sabha bypoll at Bhandara-Gondiya in Maharashtra, with the Congress-NCP alliance winning the seat with a margin of 48,097 votes.
While NCPâs Madhukar Kukde polled 4,42,213 votes, BJPâs Hemant Patle could manage only 3,94,116 votes. The real winner, however, was Nana Patole â" the incumbent BJP MP â" who joined the Congress last year.
Accusing PM Narendra Modi of not listening to anyone, Patole had alleged that the PM had asked him to keep quiet when he had tried to raise the issue of farmers. While the BJP chose not to expel him, Patole joined the Congress, necessitating the bypoll.
âThey tried their best to see to it that the election was not held because they were sensing defeat. They could have held it along with Gorakhpur bypolls (in March). They also campaigned against me personally, focusing on the allegation that I had thrust the election on the people of Bhandara-Gondiya. The CM even said in a public meeting that bypolls are held when somebody dies. People took it as an offence. Now, they should tell who has died in Bhandara-Gondiy a,â Patole told The Indian Express.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppMore Top News
- Kairana Lok Sabha Bye-Election Results 2018 highlights: Defeat for those who do not believe in democracy, says Akhilesh on RLD's win
- Assembly Bypoll Results 2018 highlights: SP wins Noorpur, CPM retains Chengannur, Nitish loses prestige battle in Jokihat
- Assam AHSEC HS result 2018 LIVE updates: Class 12th result at ahsec.nic.in, toppers names, merit list, pass percentage14 hours ago
- Maharashtra HSC Result 2018 LIVE Updates: 12th result at mahresult.nic.in, revaluation process dates15 hours ago
- Monsoon LIVE UPDATES: Heavy rain lashes parts of Bengaluru as southwest monsoon advances20 hours ago
- Assam AHSEC, Maharashtra HSC Result 2018, RBSE, W BBSE and BSEB 10th, 12th Result 2018 Live Updates: AHSEC HS results at 9:3020 hours ago
- Tamil Nadu 11th HSC Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Pass percentage of girls at 94.6, boys at 87.4%1 day ago
- Fuel price cut at midnight? Centre working overtime
- BJP's majority at risk after bypoll loss in two LS seats
- Bypoll blues continue to haunt BJP in Uttar Pradesh
- OpinionPeace initiatives on LoC, and internally in J&K, must be enthusiastically welcomed, but not taken at face value
- OpinionFour years of NDA government have put India on a downward spiral
- EntertainmentSonam Kapoor on why Veere Di Wedding is 'not a chick flick': It is a derogatory term for women
- EntertainmentRanbir Kapoor on his relationship with Alia Bhatt: What she gives is something that Iâm aspiring for myself
- EntertainmentSalman Khan introduces Zaheer Iqbal, Bollywood welcomes him
- TrendingMalala Yousafzai and Elon Musk had the cutest Twitter chat and fans can't have enough of it
- TrendingWATCH: Kim Jong-Un's impersonator invites Donald Trump to Singapore; says, 'I am just waiting for you to turn up'