Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy promises farm loan waiver in 15 days
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy promises farm loan waiver in 15 days
H D Kumaraswamy, under attack from the BJP over the alleged delay in fulfilling his pre-poll assurance to the farming community, met representatives of farmers groups and progressive peasants to discuss the problems faced by them.Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy. (So urce: AP photo) Related News
- Kumaraswamy calls meeting of farmersâ groups on Wednesday over loan waiver
- Farm loan, Cabinet posts: At Congressâs mercy, says Karnataka CM HD Kumaraswamy
- JD(S) eyes Telangana model on farm loan waiver
Saving farmers is the priority of his government, Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy said today, as he promised to honour his commitment to waive farm loans within 15 days and insisted there was âno going backâ on it.
Kumaraswamy, under attack from the BJP over the alleged delay in fulfilling his pre-poll assurance to the farming community, met representatives of farmers groups and progressive peasants to discuss the problems faced by them. âWe will come to a decision in 15 days. In 15 days, it will get completely implementedâ¦.Whatever may be the difficulty, our governmentis committed to maintaining fiscal discipline, and also saving you (farmers),â Kumaraswamy told the meeting after listening to farmers for about three hours.
Kumaraswamy said he and Deputy Chief Minister G Parameshwara will discuss the issue with Congress president Rahul Gandhi. The chief minister said Gandhi was also committed to farm loan waiver. âIâm getting it (the loan amount) calculated, whatever thousand crore rupees it isâ¦.saving you is our governmentâs responsibility,â he told the gathering.
The meeting was attended by Parameshwara, deputy leader of opposition in the AssemblyGovinda Karajola (BJP), and senior officials of the stategovernment.
Kumaraswamy also said he would call a meeting of representatives of nationalised banks in 2-3 days and seek information about farm loans extended by them.
In the run up to the Assembly polls, The JD(S) leader had promised to write off agricultural loans totalling a whopping Rs 53,000 crore within 24 hours of coming to power.
The BJP has been t argeting him over the âdelayâ in keeping that promise, and had called a statewide bandh on Monday which evoked a lukewarm response. The chief minister had recently said he would retire from politics if he failed to honour the promise, and asked farmers not to âfall prey to the BJP conspiracyâ. But before doing that, he had said, since he was heading a coalition government, he would have to consult the alliance partner and take into account the financial condition of the state.
Leader of the Opposition B S Yeddyurappa had on Monday threatened action against the state government if it failed to write off farm loans within a week.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppMore Related News
Karnataka government: Congress, JD-S âtug of warâ over portfolios continues
- Deve Gowda says Congress insisted on Kumaraswamy being made Karnataka CM
- Xiaomi Mi 8, MIUI 10, Mi Band 3 launch LIVE UPDATES: Mi 8 with a notched display launched1 min ago
- MSBSHSE 12th HSC Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Check result at mahresult.nic.in, revaluation process dates3 mins ago
- Assembly Bypoll Results 2018 Live Updates: CPM set for massive win in Chengannur4 mins ago
- Lok Sabha Bypoll Results 2018 Live Updates: Trend reverses in Nagaland as BJP ally NDPP leads; Sena trails in Palghar13 mins ago
- Assam AHSEC HS result 2018: Result declared at ahsec.nic.in, Science topper is Amar Singh Thapa48 mins ago
- Kairana Lok Sabha Bye-Election results LIVE: RLD's Tabassum leads, says path for united opposition clear in 2019
- Ukraine says kickbacks worth Rs 17.5 crore to Ministry of Defence officials, asks for help
- After clean chit, ICICI Board orders probe into Chanda Kochhar on fresh allegations
- OpinionPeace initiatives on LoC, and internally in J&K, must be enthusiastically welcomed, but not taken at face value
- OpinionFour years of NDA government have put India on a downward spiral
- EntertainmentSalman Khan introduces Zaheer Iqbal in Bollywood, says he is a born actor
- EntertainmentBefore Veere Di Wedding, a look at Kareena Kapoorâs last five box office performances
- EntertainmentBhavesh Joshi Superhero: Five reasons to watch the Harshvardhan Kapoor film
- TrendingKolkata woman thrashes mother-in-law; viral video leads cops to arrest the abuser
- TrendingTwitterati spotted Shahid Kapoor working out with a hammer and did the obvious - 'transformed' him into Thor