I&B Ministry snatched from Smriti Irani in Modi govt's cabinet reshuffle: A look back at her controversial tenure
- I&B Ministry snatched from Smriti Irani in Modi govtâs cabinet reshuffle: A look back at her controversial tenure
This is the second time that Smriti Irani has been moved from a key ministry as she was earlier shifted from the HRD Ministry to the relatively low-profile Textile Ministry.âThe CBI is investigating the matterâ¦our government is with the victimâs family,â Smriti Irani said. (File) Related News
- Faiz Ahmad Faizâs daughter Moneeza Hashmi dropped as speaker at I&B event
- Time for laws, rules to regulate digital media: I&B Minister Smriti Irani
- Smriti Irani waits for the âAvengers: Infinity Warâ post credit scene; Netizens call her the âcoolest ministerâ
In a major Cabinet reshuffle of the Narendra Modi-led BJP government, just a year before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Smriti I rani was Monday replaced by her deputy Rajyavardhan Rathore as the new information and broadcasting minister. Irani, whose tenure was mired in controversy, is now left with the Textile Ministry only.
In July last year, Irani had assumed the charge of Information and Broadcasting Ministry after M Venkaiah Naidu had resigned following his nomination as NDAâs vice presidential candidate.
This is the second time that Irani has been moved from a key ministry as she was earlier shifted from the HRD Ministry to the relatively low-profile Textile Ministry. Notably, the latest development comes more than a month after the Irani-led I&B Ministry, following orders from the PMO, withdrew its press release which stated that journalists who âcreatedâ or âpropagatedâ fake news would have lost their accreditation with the government. The guidelines drew sharp reaction from the opposition Congress and journalists.
During her tenure as the HRD minister, Irani was sh arply criticised for her handling of the row over Dalit scholar Rohith Vemula suicide at Hyderabad university. It swelled into a massive political row.
After the Modi government came to power in 2014, Iraniâs educational qualifications, or the lack of it, made national headlines. In a submission to the Election Commission, Irani claimed she completed her BA in 1996 through a long-distance or correspondence program from the University of Delhi. However, in 2014, Irani claimed she had secured a commerce degree from the School of Open Learning, Delhi University.
READ | Cabinet reshuffle: Smriti Irani removed as I&B minister, Piyush Goyal gets finance till Jaitley recovers
She also had claimed to have secured a degree from Yale University, but it transpired that she had only attended a week-or so-long programme under the India-Yale Parliamentary Leadership Program.
Recently, during the national award ceremony, most filmmakers boycotted the event after they got to know that the awards will be presented to them by Irani and not President Ram Nath Kovind, as has been the tradition.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppÂ© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd More Related News
- I&B rewrites its letter firing NFDC chief, drops all charges against her
- Chip in TV set-top boxes: Why govt wants âaccurateâ viewership data
- West Bengal gram panchayat elections HIGHLIGHTS: 12 killed in clashes as polling ends, 73 per cent voter turnout recorded2 hours ago
- ICSE ISC results 2018 LIVE: 64 students get more than 99%5 hours ago
- MP Board 10th, 12th result 2018 LIVE: Govt schools perform better over private institutes5 hours ago
- Sunanda Pushkar death case LIVE: Shashi Tharoor charged with 'abetment to suicide', Cong calls it 'conspiracy'5 hours ago
- India weather LIVE Updates: Death toll in Sunday's storm climbs to 75; 51 in UP alone10 hours ago
- 1Cabinet reshuffle: Smriti Irani removed as I&B minister, Piyush Goyal gets finance till Jaitley recovers
- 2IPL 2018, KXIP vs RCB: Royal Challengers win by 10 wickets
- 3MP Board 10th, 12th result 2018 LIVE: Govt schools perform better over private institutes
- 4MP Board Class 10th, 12th result 2018 declared at mpbse.nic.in, mpresults.nic.in and mponline.gov.in
- Cabinet reshuffle: Smriti Irani removed as I&B minister, Piyush Goyal gets finance till Jaitley recovers
- Sunanda was subjected to physical cruelty, Tharoor abetted her suicide, says chargesheet
- SportsIPL 2018 Live KXIP vs RCB in Indore: Royal Challengers win by 10 wickets
- OpinionThat 14 of the 15 most polluted cities in the world are in India points to a public health emergency
- OpinionDoctors, barring exceptions, are complicit in the commercialisation of healthcare
- Entertainm entAvengers Infinity War becomes the fifth highest-grossing movie of all time
- EntertainmentBhavesh Joshi Superhero song Chavanprash: Is Arjun Kapoor's 'item song' really needed in a vigilante drama?
- EntertainmentShamshera: Vaani Kapoor to romance Ranbir Kapoor
- TrendingToronto Police busted 'Thanos' and âAvengers: Infinity Warâ fans couldn't be happier
- TrendingVIDEO: Crow uses credit card, tries to buy a train ticket