Deepening of ties in trade, defence will be on table during Israeli PM's visit
- Deepening of ties in trade, defence will be on table during Israeli PMâs visit
India had last month joined 127 other countries to vote in the UNGA in favour of a resolution opposing the recent decision of US President Donald Trump to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (Source: AP) Related News
- Warm welcome awaits Benjamin Netanyahu in Ahmedabad
- Israel to invest $68.6 million to boost cooperation with India
- Nariman House readies itself ahead of Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu, 26/11 survivor Mosheâs visit
Deepening of ties in vital areas of trade and defence, including a possible signing of a multi-million dollar Israeli anti-tank missile deal, are on the table during Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visit, which comes days after India voted against Israel at the UN on the Jerusalem issue.
Israeli Ambassador to India Daniel Carmon on Friday down played Indiaâs stand at the UN General Assembly over the US decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in place of Tel Aviv, saying New Delhiâs view âcannot influenceâ Indo-Israel ties.
âI donâ t think it can influence the relationship. The relationship is much stronger than the one vote here and there,â Carmon said, but maintained that it was ânot a happyâ situation when members of the international community did not vote in favour on the issue at the UN.
The envoy also said that sometimes India comes with a request (at the UN) and sometimes Israel does. âWe cannot always fulfil those requests and this is why we are two different countries,â he told reporters here.
India had last month joined 127 other countries to vote in the UNGA in favour of a resolution opposing the recent decision of US President Donald Trump to recognise Jerusalem as Israelâs capital.
Ahead of the visit, Netanyahu had said, âWell I would have preferred a different vote to be frank, but I donât think it materially changes the tremendous flowering of relations between India and Israel.â
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had visited the Jewish state in July la st year, becoming the first Indian premier to do so. Netanyahu will be in India on a six-day visit from January 14, during which he will hold comprehensive talks with Modi. The prime minister will also host a private dinner for the Israeli leader.
During his stay, he will also visit Gujarat and Mumbai. Without confirming whether an agreement for Israeli Spike missiles will be signed during Netanyahuâs visit, Carmon said the Spike project is an example of âIsrael engaging in Make in Indiaâ because it can be implemented through partnership between an Israeli company and Indian firm.
In November, the defence ministry had decided to retract from the process to acquire a batch of Spike missiles from Israeli firm Rafael Advanced Defence Systems. Now, it is learnt that the government is considering buying the missiles through government-to-government route.
The envoy also referred to the personal equation between Modi and Natenyahu. He said the Indian prime minis ter will host Netanyahu in his home state and termed it as an âimportant gestureâ.
On the strong bond between the two leaders which was driving the current Indo-Israeli ties, Carmon said the relationship between India and Israel is an âall-weather friendshipâ. He also said in the case of Justice Dalveer Bhandari at the International Court of Justice, Israel not only supported the Indian candidate but it adopted, with four more countries, along with India, Bhandariâs candidature.
âSince we talk about democracies, similar values, similar challengesâ¦, the relationship is so strong between both the countries that our feeling is (that) nothing can reverse it,â he said. Touching upon the trade and business aspects of Netanyahuâs visit, Carmon said a 130-strong delegation of businessmen involved in technologies related to agriculture, water, cyber, defence industries, food processing, will accompany the Israeli leader.
Carmon said 11-year Moshe Holtzb erg will also accompany Netanyahu and participate in a function at the Chabad House in Mumbai. Mosheâs parents were killed in the 26/11 terror attack at the Chabad House.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express AppMore Related News
- Shalom Bollywood: Benjamin Netanyahu to woo film industry in India trip
- Benjamin Netanyahu to gift water desalinisation jeep to PM Modi
- FIR against Tribune reporter over Aadhaar data breach story
- Padmavati becomes 'Padmavat', set to clash with Akshay Kumar's PadMan on January 25
- Photos: Anushka Sharma back on the sets of Shah Rukh Khan's Zero after dreamy wedding
- India vs South Africa 1st Test: South Africa beat India by 72 runs
- Unprecedented chaos in judiciary as top SC judges revolt in public against CJI Dipak Misra
- Judicial crisis: Death of judge Loya needs to be probed at the highest level of SC, demands Rahul Gandhi
- Threat of chemical & nuclear weapons becoming a reality, says Army chief Bipin Rawat
- OpinionRecent trend shows that the Chief Justice appears to be allocating cases on a selective basis
- OpinionSwami Vivekanandaâs teachings have become all the more relevant today
- EntertainmentBigg Boss 11 evicted contestant Akash Dadlani: Vikas Gupta will win the show
- EntertainmentMukkabaaz movie review: The Anurag Kashyap film packs plenty of punch
- EntertainmentKaalakaandi movie review: Saif Ali Khan delivers in lacklustre fare
- TrendingThis elder sister's story of breaking bricks to buy a bicycle for her brother has left Netizens teary-eyed
- TrendingVIDEO: Wife obstructs door to stall train for husband; gets kicked out before train departs
- SC Judges' revolt: Govt cautious, Opposition weighs options, calls for probing the issues
- Arunachal tech genius, who has invented goggles for blind, wants to make world a better place
- NIA arrests KYKL rebel involved in 2015 Manipur ambush that killed 18 jawans
- LifestyleBlood cancer has my 21-month-old daughter in its clutches. Please help me save her
- SportsIndia batsmen need to step up in Centurion
- SportsNot saying that Rahane won't start in this game: Kohli
- LifestyleTry Sonam Kapoor's hairstyle tr ick to instantly glam up your casual look
- LifestyleAishwarya Rai Bachchan looks stunning as ever in a royal blue gown
- TechnologyWhatsApp testing new feature to 'dismiss' someone as group admin: Report
- TechnologyXiaomi Mi A1 Android 8.0 Oreo update temporarily suspended: Report
- Uttarakhand High Court asks state government to abolish revenue police system
- Haryana Hammers beat Delhi Sultans for second win in PWL
- Makar Sankranti 2018: Top traditional sweet dishes to relish this festive season
- WATCH: Donât like taking a bath in winters? Take inspiration from this man!
- Karnataka home minister defends CM Siddaramaiahâs âterrorâ jibe at BJP-RSS
- Read Next
- VIDEO: Wife obstructs door to stall train for husband; gets kicked out before train departs
- Sushil Kumarâs PWL debut postponed yet again due to âknee injuryâ
- Kumkum Bhagya January 12, 2018 full episode written update: Abhi pranks Pragya to make her confess her identity