Gujarat elections: PM Modi hits out at Kapil Sibal, slams Congress for linking Ram temple issue to polls
- Elections 2017
- Gujarat Assembly Elections 2017
- Gujarat elections: PM Modi hits out at Kapil Sibal, slams Congress for linking Ram temple issue to polls
"Everyone wants a time-bound solution except Congress. The Sunni Waqf Board must be congratulated for their brave stand on the matter and disassociating themselves from the statement of Kapil Sibal," says ModiPrime Minister Narendra Modi addresses a rally at Dahod on Wednesday. (Express photo) Related News
- Unlike Narendra bhai, I am human: Rahul Gandhi admits error in price rise figures
- Gujarat elections highlights: Even Trump said he would develop US like Modi has done in India, says Yogi Adityanath
- Babri Masjid demolition case: From 1528 to 2017 â" A timeline
On the last day of campaigning for the first phase of Gujarat elections, Prime Minister Narendra Modi focused his attack on Kapil Sibal for seeking deferment of the Ayodhya dispute till the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and panned Congress for linking the issue with polls.
âYesterday in the Supreme Court, a Congress MP Kapil Sibal was arguing for the Babri Masjid. He is entitled to do that but is it right for him to say postpone hearing till 2019? Now, the Congress is linking Ram Mandir with elections. They are least bothered about the nation,â Modi said at a rally in Dhandhuka.
Appearing for the Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Wakf Board, Kapil Sibal requested the Supreme Court to set the date for next hearing on the lawsuit over the title to the disputed Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid site after July 2019 since âthe case has ramifications on polity of Indiaâ. Though Sibal did not mention elections, it was apparent to all present that he wanted the court to hear the matter only after the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Sibalâs contention was, however, not accepted by the court, which decided to hear the matter on February 8 next year.
Modi, then, recalled how his government decided to oppose âtriple talaqâ in the Supreme Court risking a possible backlash in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly el ections. âWhen the triple talaq matter was in Supreme Court, the government had to put in their affidavit. Newspapers commented that Modi will remain silent because of UP polls. People told me not to speak on the matter else there will be losses in elections,â the PM said.
Modi, however, said for him the betterment of humanity came first and elections later. âEverything is not about elections. This issue is for the rights of womenâ¦elections come later humanity comes first,â he said, even as he reiterated for simultaneous elections to the Lok Sabha and state assemblies.
ALSO READ: Babri case: PM Modi hails Sunni Wakf Board for disassociating itself from Kapil Sibalâs statement
Continuing his attack on Kapil Sibal in Dahod, which has the second largest population of the Dawoodi Bohra sect of Muslims in India, Modi lauded the Sunni Waqf Board for rejecting the contention of their lawyer, Sibal, and pitching for a time-bound solution to the matter.Prime Minister Narendra Modi being presented a sword by party workers during an election campaign rally at Dhandhuka village of Ahmedabad district on Wednesday. (Source: PTI)
âThe Sunni Waqf Board has stated that yes, Kapil Sibal may be our lawyer, but what he said in the court is absolutely wrong. Everyone wants a time bound solution except Congress and their leaders. The board must be congratulated for their brave stand on the matter and disassociating themselves from the statement of Kapil Sibal,â the PM said.
About 350 km away, addressing a rally at Ghariyadhar in Bhavnagar district, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath too echoed the PMâs sentiments on the Ayodhya issue. Hitting out at Sibal, he said,âWork at Ramjanmabhoomi was to start. But Kapil Sibal said it should not start. The Congress has to answer if the temple will be built in Ayodhya or not.âUttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath at a rally in Bhavnagar district on Wednesday (Express photo)
Accusing the Congress of trying to divide the country along caste lines, Adityanath said the party was trying was keeping one leg in each boat. âPeople who do that drown,â the CM said. Lauding the Gujarat m odel of development Adityanath said even the US President Donald Trump was enamoured by it.
âDuring the presendential elections in US, when Donald Trump was asked what he would do for the development of America, he said he would develop it like how Modi has done in India. Even the head of the most powerful country respects our PM,â he asserted.
Wednesday was Dr B R Ambedkarâs 61st death anniversary and the PM left no stone unturned in slamming the Congress for the âinjustice meted out to the architect of the Constitution.â âOne family has done greatest injustice to Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar and Sardar Patel. When Pandit Nehruâs influence on the Congress was complete, the Congress ensured that Ambedkar found it tough to join the Constituent Assembly. Congress did not think of conferring the Bharat Ratna on Ambedkar,â Modi said.
A focal point of the oppositionâs tirade against the ruling party has been the lack of employment in the state. Congress president-to-be Rahul Gandhi has consistently hit out at the Vijay Rupani government over the slow pace of job growth and economic policies. Countering the opposition attack, Modi said his aim was to make every youth self-reliant. âBJP efforts ensured that youngsters in Gujarat got access to technology and there are more educational institutions to study. Our aim is to make our youth self-reliant,â he said.
Taking a dig at Gandhi, who has been on a temple-visiting spree while campaigning for the polls, Modi said, âBJP has done development in Gujarat by adding using every single penny. It is not done by visiting temple after temple.â
For all the latest Elections News, download Indian Express AppÂ© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd More Related News
- Did Shah contest to become BJP chief, asks Congress
- BJP suspends former MP Katara, 1 more from party
- No Match in Progress.
- Amid speculations of Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma's marriage, here is a look back at Virus hka's love story
- Max Hospital negligence case: Final report in twins case expected in two days, says Delhi health minister
- IPL player retention policy: Everything you need to know
- Thugs Of Hindostan: After Mumbai and Malta, Amitabh, Aamir and Fatima shoot in Thailand
- BusinessMy brave 11 months old is fighting to live. Please help me save my Veera
- ElectionsGujarat elections: PM Modi hits out at Kapil Sibal, slams Congress for linking Ram temple issue to polls
- BusinessRBI leaves lending rate unchanged at 6%, retains ec onomic growth projection at 6.7% for 2017-18
- Time Person of the Year 2017 is 'The Silence Breakers', those who drove the #MeToo movement
- OpinionBabri demolition assaulted secularism, Hinduism. Consequences are still to play out fully
- OpinionOnly a cooperative effort of the state and community can protect Indiaâs heritage
- EntertainmentAmid speculations of Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli's wedding, here is a look back at Virushka's love story
- EntertainmentSalman Khan wipes off Tiger Zinda Hai co-actor Katrina Kaif's tears in the sweetest way on Dance Champions
- EntertainmentBharti, Haarsh's 'beautiful part of life' is on, see first photos post wedding
- Trending'I have 8 friends...' becomes a hilarious meme, with twists and drama from Bigg Boss to Ranveer Singh
- TrendingDonald Trump's lawyer used Comic Sans for press statement; Twitterati can't believe it's NOT a joke
- London mayor Sadiq Khan calls for UK apology over Jallianwala Bagh massacre
- BusinessâDubai Duty Freeâ EVC and CEO Colm McLoughlin receives honorary doctorate from Middlesex University Dubai
- SportsIndia vs Belgium, HWL Final 2017: India 0-0 Belgium in 1st quarter
- Auto & TravelMaruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Audi offer massive discounts in December
- SportsIndia vs Belgium, HWL Final 2017
- SportsDhoni can play for CSK in IPL 2018, here's how
- BR Ambed kar death anniversary: 10 of his most inspiring quotes
- LifestyleManushi Chhillar looks radiant in a dreamy grey Sabyasachi sari, but is it too much for a day event?
- TechnologyHonor View 10 puts focus on AI with host of new features
- TechnologyXiaomi Mi A1 price in India slashed by Rs 2,000: All you need to know
- Priyanka Chopra has a ârecordâ number of unread emails; Twitterati TRY to compete and fail miserably
- ISL Live score, Delhi Dynamos vs Jamshedpur FC: Delhi 0-0 Jamshedpur
- Ola cab driver allegedly molests woman passenger in Bengaluru, suspended
- Time Person of the Year 2017 is âThe Silence Breakersâ, those who drove the #Me Too movement
- Congress will get majority in Assembly elections, says Meghalaya CM Mukul Sangma
- Read Next
- Navy offers job in private company to transgender ex-sailor
- Donald Trumpâs lawyer used Comic Sans for press statement; Twitterati canât believe itâs NOT a joke
- MS Dhoni can play for CSK in IPL 2018, hereâs how